Discovering my colour personality changed me, my business, and my results.
Hundreds of years ago I was on a conference for image consultants and personal stylists and one of the speakers invited us to discover which of 4 colour personalities we were. I learned so much that day about:
- why some wannabe image consultants will do whatever it takes to be a success
- why some will even change themselves and their own behaviour to ensure they achieve their dreams
- and why most will do sweet nothing and will, therefore, never make it!
4 colour psychology types
The first thing that shocked me was that 75% of the room were all the same personality type. The second thing that shocked me was that I wasn’t one of them. In fact I was the only one in the room who was a Red type.
I’m not saying that Reds can’t be image consultants because none of us is one hundred per cent of just one of the four types. We’re all a combination of the four colour types. But in my case, my Red personality scores 85% of the total. I’ve got about 10% Green, 4% Blue and my innate Yellow traits hardly warrant a mention!
So you can see that I am as Red as you can get! And that means I hate detail, I don’t find ‘convivial conversation’ comes easily to me, and I don’t suffer fools at all.
This amazing insight into my own personality made me take a long, hard look at the way I was then running my image business. It became obvious that what I was doing was at odds with who I really was, and that was the reason I wasn’t doing as well as I should have.
I was then able to make some real shifts in how I thought about my business (and my life) and I began to do things a heck of a lot differently. From then on, as Frank Sinatra would say, I did it my way!
- I changed who I worked with
- I changed what services I offered to suit me
- And most importantly, I changed how I communicated with my prospects and my clients
Did my results improve?
Yes indeedy, and I’m still here to prove it.
What about the other types?
Yellows love being involved with women especially in groups while Reds work better with men or in the corporate world. Blues like to focus on one client at a time while Greens will like to have a balanced mix of both 1-1 clients and small groups.
Please bear in mind here that I’m talking about extremes of each type. And extreme cases are rare. Most of us are a combination of two or more of the 4 types and it will be that unique combination that will determine the choices you make and the results you achieve (or not).
I used this information about myself to change:
- my target market
- the services and products I offered my target market
- the way I delivered my services and products
In fact, what I learned about myself produced a brand-new business plan that suited my personality. So, for instance, I immediately stopped doing wardrobe weed-outs. I really don’t enjoy going through hundreds of skirts, tops, bottoms, and handbags! I also stopped doing personal shopping trips. I hate, loathe and detest shopping – for anything at all!
I realised that I had been offering both of these services to my clients through gritted teeth. And that is no way to treat my clients, or myself.
This, in turn, opened up huge possibilities for me to be who I really am, serve only the people I truly enjoy working with, and create the products and services that I have ideas for every day. So in the masterclass Colour – a psychological preference, I explain more about the 4 different colour personalities and how I almost came to the conclusion that I was in totally the wrong business.
Discovering my own colour personality turned my business around
And it could do the same for you.
It’s just one of the masterclasses in our Step-by-Step Academy and in Colour – a psychological preference I share with you:
- How colours play a crucial role in the expression of personality and emotion
- Why you need to ‘address’ your client’s psychological preferences to be able to dress her body
- More about the 4 different colour personalities
- How you could turn your business around just by getting to know exactly what your own colour psychological preferences are
- There’s also a workbook to help you work through some of the suggested exercises
This will get you thinking about how you could use colour psychology as a tool to help you understand more about your client so you can offer her a more bespoke service. This one masterclass on its own will help you get more leads, more clients, and more sales.
And that’s just one of the masterclasses in my Step-by-Step Academy.
A fresh, new look at all things colour and style.